Several Florida newspapers are suing two federal agencies—to obtain documents related to hurricane assistance. The Fort Myers News-Press, the Pensacola News Journal, and Florida Today are suing the Department of Homeland Security and the Federal Emergency Management Agency. The lawsuit—filed in federal court— would force the agencies to turn over records concerning the distribution of aid after last year’s four hurricanes. News-Press Executive Editor, Kate Marymont, says requests from her reporters have gone ignored.
“We’ve filed 6 different requests. And what we are greeted with is virtually silence. We aren’t given a reason that we aren’t given them. We are just given delays.”
Marymont says the newspapers want to know more about federal aid to local governments, to individuals, and FEMA’s own administrative costs.
Thursday, 10 March 2005 00:00